Thursday, September 20, 2007

On deleting facebook

As my cynicism about facebook grows I have been so pleased to come across this post from Brian Heys writing about "How to delete your facebook account".
(update 18.01.08 I'm not certain this link works anymore)

Good advice, but remember should you decide to close your facebook, it is deactivated; which I guess means that all your data, your profile, etc. etc. will be preserved for when you realise the folly of your ways and want your friends back.
It will also be preserved for facebook to access as they see fit.

I'm not certain if deactivating an account is the same as removing user content?
Reading the terms of use we discover that....
When you post User Content to the Site, you authorize and direct us to make such copies thereof as we deem necessary in order to facilitate the posting and storage of the User Content on the Site. By posting User Content to any part of the Site, you automatically grant, and you represent and warrant that you have the right to grant, to the Company an irrevocable, perpetual, non-exclusive, transferable, fully paid, worldwide license (with the right to sublicense) to use, copy, publicly perform, publicly display, reformat, translate, excerpt (in whole or in part) and distribute such User Content for any purpose on or in connection with the Site or the promotion thereof, to prepare derivative works of, or incorporate into other works, such User Content, and to grant and authorize sublicenses of the foregoing. You may remove your User Content from the Site at any time. If you choose to remove your User Content, the license granted above will automatically expire, however you acknowledge that the Company may retain archived copies of your User Content.
Returning to the book to reactivate a dormant account should be easy.
I might try deactivating my account and returning to see what happens.

I wonder do Facebook include dormant accounts in their user numbers?
Remember the doubts about Second Life statistics?

Update. 14.02.08.
Facebook introduce choice between deactivation and deletion

1 comment:

  1. My name is _________ , and I'm a Facebookcholic. I can totally see why you're starting to feel Facebook is becoming a joke. I had a myspace and I got rid of it. It just got so damn boring and irritating after a while. I'd find myself wasting precious time doing absolutely nothing but being in everyone else's business and constantly checking for comments. Meh. I'd rather not know EVERYTHING everyone is up to and have real conversations with my friends on the phone or in person. It's really cool to keep in contact with people across far distances but most of the time people just get carried away and it becomes a lot more than that. In response to your question, I don't think the developers are THAT good. You can actually terminate your profile completely by e-mailing Facebook. They'll do it manually for you if you feel as though you'll be itching to go back.

    Cheers,

    Philly's Finest

    ReplyDelete