Monday, July 14, 2008

On Blogging.

Jorn Barger is one of the greats of the Internet. He introduced us to the phrase web log, which in turn became blog and he still lovingly produces Robot Wisdom the first link blog.

When I started to take an interest in blogs and the process of blogging I read Robot Wisdom diligently. It led me to corners of the web I barely knew existed. He introduced me to other link blogs, interesting photographs of space, reminded me of the genius that was James Joyce and rekindled my love of Kate Bush.

I was therefore interested to notice Rex at Fimoculous pointing to a post by Jorn in which he comments on observations made by Warren Ellis at The Patchwork Years

On the Patchwork Years Warren suggests

"That’s been the job of half the web, for the last several years — collating links from the other half of the web."

He continues

"The world does not need another linkblog. What is required, frankly, is what we’re supposed to call “content” these days. When I were a lad, back in the age of steam, we called this
“original material.”"


Jorn disagrees,

"in the blogosphere-to-come, everyone should put themselves out there
100%, linking everything they like, and subscribing only to those feeds
that match their own tastes best."


I'm with Jorn.

No comments:

Post a Comment